Since its establishment, RuDASA has aimed to create awareness of the plight, challenges and successes of rural doctors and other health professionals by implementing various advocacy strategies. These range from open letters and press statements, often with partner organizations, to making inputs into policy developments, and advising and supporting rural health care workers with local health care service delivery challenges. Amongst its core partners are SECTION27 and Wits Centre for Rural Health with whom RuDASA formed the Rural Health Advocacy Project in 2009. In this new partnership RuDASA has taken up and contributed to many advocacy issues; including the rural-proofing of the Primary Health Care Revitalisation Strategy, advocacy around OSD and the Minimum Service Level Agreement, formulation of and advocacy for short and long term rural recruitment and retention strategies and the freezing of medical posts, to name a few.
Examples of RuDASA's advocacy work can be found on RHAP’s website.
Some examples include:
- Rural-proofing the overtime policy for health care practitioners in Eastern Cape 2016
- Rural-proofing the National Health Insurance, December 2012
- Access in Rural and Remote Areas: Strategic Priority 8 of the new National Human Resources for Health Strategy. RuDASA contributed to the development of a comprehensive set of objectives and activities aimed at enhancing access to human resources in rural health, adopted as official policy by the Department of Health in 2011.
- Rural-proofing the Primary Health Care Revitalisation Strategy, May 2011
- Letter to the Minister of Health: Proposal for key measures to address the crisis in human resources for health in South Africa, with a focus on rural health care - March 2011
- RHAP and RuDASA join SAMA’s demands for urgent safety measures to protect our health care workers from assault, 15 June 2011
- Press Release: Rural communities disadvantaged by KZN Community Service Medical Officer placements for 2010, December 2010
- Letter to KZN Treasury and Department of Health: Freezing of posts is against the spirit of the ten-point-plan, November 2010
- RuDASA statement on public sector strike, August 2010
- Open letter to the President: shadow a rural doctor for a day, February 2010
- Press Release: The government''s OSD proposal is anti-rural, June 2009